Macklin-Cordes, Jayden L. & Erich R. Round. 2015. High-definition phonotactics reflect linguistic pasts. Quantitative Investigations in Theoretical Linguistics (QITL-6). Tübingen: University of Tübingen.
Postdoctoral researcher, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), 17 Nov 2021 – Present
- UMR 5596 Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (DDL), CNRS / Université Lyon 2.
- Project: Evogram: The role of linguistic and non-linguistic factors in the evolution of nominal classification systems
- Project lead: Dr Marc Allassonnière-Tang
PhD (linguistics), The University of Queensland, 2021
- Thesis: Phonotactics in historical linguistics: Quantitative interrogation of a novel data source
- Supervisors: Dr Erich Round, Dr Simon Greenhill
BA (Hons, Class I), The University of Queensland, 2015
- Major in linguistics
- Minor in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Transcription, data annotation (Australian English, Aboriginal English, Indigenous languages)
- OCR, speech-to-text, text-to-speech, machine translation
- Version control (Git), shell scripting (e.g. Bash)
- Computing on high performance clusters (QRIS Awoonga system)
- Scientific software (e.g. FileMaker Pro, MATLAB, ABBYY)
- Full data pipeline: Data collection, hygiene and management, analysis, presentation.
- Technical report writing, public presentation, academic publication.
- Project management, winning grant funds, team coordination.
Project lead, ARC CoEDL Transdisciplinary and Innovation Grant, 2016–2019
- Project title: A ‘data well’ prototype for Sahul phonologies
- Grant value $19,909
- Duties: OCR and automated data extraction from published language grammars, manage team of research scholars, collaboration with overseas labs, produce interim reports, presentations and published research output.
Lecturer, course coordinator, 2015
- LING1005 Introduction to linguistics: The sound pattern of language
- LING6105 Introduction to linguistics: Phonetics and phonology
- Duties: Prepared and delivered weekly lectures and tutorial content; managed team of Teaching Assistants; developed online learning materials; administration for large class ( 250 students)
Research Assistant, 2013–2015
- Data entry for AusPhon database of Australian language sound systems using FileMaker software.
- Transcription of archived Yukulta (Ganggalida) field recordings.
- Digitisation of library resources, data entry for microvariate typology project. Presentation of results at the Australian Linguistic Society Annual Conference (2014).
- 2018 CoEDL Summer School, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 2017 LSA Linguistic Institute, University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA.
- 2016 Quantitative Methods Spring School, Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, Jena, Germany.
- Python with Spyder: an introduction to data science (UQ Centre for Digital Scholarship)
- Heatmaps in R for intermediate users (UQ Centre for Digital Scholarship)
- R visualisations using ggplot2, intermediate (UQ Centre for Digital Scholarship)
- Advances in Visual Methods for Linguistics (2016 workshop), The University of Queensland.
Round, Erich R., T. Mark Ellison, Jayden L. Macklin-Cordes, Sacha Beniamine. 2020. Automated parsing of interlinear glossed text from page images of grammatical descriptions. Proceedings of the 12th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC-2020), 2871--2876. Marseille, France: European Languages Resources Association.
Macklin-Cordes, Jayden L. & Erich R. Round. 2020. Re-evaluating phoneme frequencies. Frontiers in Psychology 11.
Macklin-Cordes, Jayden L., Claire Bowern & Erich R. Round. 2021. Phylogenetic signal in phonotactics. Diachronica. 38(2). pp. 210–258.
Challenges of sampling and how phylogenetic comparative methods help: With a case study of the Pama-Nyungan laminal contrast
Macklin-Cordes, Jayden L. & Erich R. Round. 2022. Challenges of sampling and how phylogenetic comparative methods help: With a case study of the Pama-Nyungan laminal contrast. Linguistic Typology. advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1515/lingty-2021-0025
Talk at Speech Science and Technology (SST) satellite symposium: The role of predictability in shaping human language sound patterns, Western Sydney University, Australia
Phylogenetic comparative methods: What all the fuss is about, and how to use them in everyday research
Seminar at Language Technology and Data Analysis Laboratory (LADAL) Opening Webinar Series, The University of Queensland, Australia
Talk at The 5th Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
Talk at International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL25), University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Constituent order in subordinate clauses: A comparison of Mudburra, Warlmanpa and Warriyangga/Thiinma
Talk at UWA Linguistics Seminar Series, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Talk at 55th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea (SLE2022), University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania